Police evacuated Edinburgh’s National Gallery after a suspicious package was found outside.
A section of Princes Street was closed to the public and a demining team was dispatched to the area, which was closed to the public.
The package was later determined to be “unsustainable”, and the cordon was lifted.
The speed of the police response caused a stir among passers-by in one of Scotland’s busiest metropolitan areas.
One person tweeted: “Bomb disposal in Edinburgh, Princes Street closed, yet to find information online. ”
A second shared video of the bomb disposal team closing part of Princes Street to pedestrians and vehicles, writing: “Bomb disposal on Princes Street Edinburgh Police have closed part of the road #edinburghcity #policescotland . ”
– Emily (@har_m_on_y) September 20, 2021
A spokesperson for the Scottish National Galleries told the BBC: “Earlier today, a suspicious object was found outside the Scottish National Gallery.
“The Scottish Police have been notified and as a precaution the gallery has been evacuated to ensure the safety of all while this matter is being considered. We hope to reopen normally tomorrow morning.”
The gallery had already tweeted that it was shutting down.
A Scottish Police spokesperson said: “At approximately 1.40 pm police received a report of a suspicious package found in a building in Mound, Edinburgh.
“Help intervened, the building was evacuated and a cordon put in place.
“EOD went to examine the package and confirmed that it was not viable.
“All surrounding roads are being reopened.”